Monday, November 30, 2009

Arranged

I really enjoyed this movie and think that it is the best one we have watched so far. I felt like there was a bit of humor and a bit more relatable than some of the others we have watched. However I must admit that it was very much like a Hollywood movie in the sense that it ended happily ever after. If they hadn’t ended the movie with the women sitting on the park benches with their children and instead had ended with them getting ready to be married it would have been a bit less happily ever after for me. I think that the principal was my favorite character because she added so much humor and tension. She also showed that Americans can be so ignorant, but I think that we have seen enough movies that show Americans as ignorant. The one problem I had with the film is when Raquel goes to her cousin’s friend’s party. She only saw the drunken party side of the non-orthodox Jewish world. She couldn’t make a proper decision on whether or not she wanted to leave the orthodox community; she didn’t live a quote unquote normal westernized world. This is similar to Rumspringa, which is celebrated by Amish teens, many of whom live a life of alcohol, drugs, and sex, and don’t really see a more conservative westernized world. In general I felt like the acting was very real and believable, especially the children and the parents. The children showed that at a young age we are very curious and have a strong thirst for knowledge and unity. The parents of Raquel showed that all ages and generations have prejudices.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I liked this movie as well, probably one of the best out of the ones we have watched so far. But I also did not appreciate the fact that the Americans were portrayed to be pretty liberal and ignorant! I wish they had also expressed the more conservative side of things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like your comments, Molly, and I have put some of them into the rough draft of our book!

    ReplyDelete