Monday, November 30, 2009

Beheading of a Cat

When I read the first of the stories maybe I read it differently from everyone else. I did not really like the character Nadine because she was obviously not the person that the main character wanted to marry. Clearly is vision of his dead matchmaker aunt told us this. She described a completely submissive woman, very stereotypical of a Middle Eastern woman, which shows us as readers that this is the type of woman that he really desires. I do not agree with his desire to chase and tame Nadine but I also do not believe he literally wanted to burn her and use the ashes to drink from. I do however believe that that passage was meant to be very poetic. Perhaps he is not the most decisive or the most respectful character but I did view Nadine through the perspective of whether or not she was a good person for him (forgive me for not remembering his name) to marry. So when professor Webb made that comment about me not liking Nadine because she was a strong independent woman deeply offended me.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry if my comments somehow made you think you didn't respect strong, independent women! You seem to be one to me!

    ReplyDelete